1 orange, zest and juice
2 teaspoons wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cups cooked bulgur
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red bell pepper, chopped in small pieces
4 stalks green onions, chopped in small pieces (green and white parts)
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, zest the orange (a microplane cheese grater works well) and then juice it.
- Add vinegar, oil, and cumin, to make the dressing. Mix thoroughly.
- Add cooked grains, black beans and vegetables, and toss to cover everything with dressing.
- Chill for at least an hour, as ﬂavors meld and improve over time.
- You can substitute any cooked grain for the bulgur.
- To cook bulgur, if not using leftovers: Put 1 cup bulgur and 2 cups water or broth in a covered saucepan. Bring to a boil then simmer 12-15 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Change out the vegetables to use up a little of anything crunchy that’s in your refrigerator.
- Try a lemon or lime in place of the orange.
An Oldways recipe and photo, courtesy of Cynthia Harriman.