As we scan the shelves of supermarkets and artisanal shops there sure do seem to be a growing selection of ﬂavored nut butters. Gone are the days of plain old peanut butter. Today the options not only include what variety of nut you prefer but added ﬂavors from cinnamon to spiced chipotle and honey!
Now we are all about variety and trying these new ﬂavors can really oﬀer ideas to kick up your snacks or sandwiches a notch, but beware of lots of added sugar, oils, and other red-light ingredients. Even better, forgo store bought, and try making some of these ﬂavor sensations at home! With a dash of salt, a sprinkle of cinnamon and some imagination, you are in (the nut butter) business!
Her are some simple tips and tricks to get you started:
- First, choose your nut, from cashew, almond, peanut or pecan, whichever is your favorite! Once you get the hang of things you can get daring with nut-combos.
- Sweeten with ingredients like honey or maple syrup.
- Experiment with spices such as cardamom or ginger.
- Some experts suggest spritzing your blender or food processer with a bit of nonstick spray to help when it comes time to get the nut butter out of the prep container.
- Purists recommend starting with raw nuts and roasting them yourself. I have often bought already roasted nuts.
- Add in ﬂavors slowly to ensure you don’t overpower the nut butter with too much added ﬂavor/seasoning.
- Refrigerate homemade nut butters and use within 4 weeks.
Let the ﬂavor fun begin:
- Vanilla Macadamia Nut Butter
- Coconut Cashew Butter
- Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Butter
- Ginger Almond Butter
- Chipotle Peanut Butter
- Maple Pecan Butter
- Espresso Almond Butter
Are these ﬂavors tickling your fancy? Do you have a favorite ﬂavored nut butter?