From brown rice burrito bowls to farro risotto, whole grains are making their way onto some of the trendiest menus around the country. In celebration of Whole Grains Month this September, we’re taking to Instagram to spotlight the creative things chefs are doing with whole grains, and the surprising places that we ﬁnd whole grains away from home. We’ll be sharing our favorites, and we’d love for you to join us using the hashtag #spotwholegrains!
Participants who follow @oldways_pt on Instagram and share where they #spotwholegrains away from home will have a chance to win a $100 gift card to a restaurant that serves whole grains (such as California Pizza Kitchen, Pret a Manger, Subway, or Maggiano’s Little Italy) as well as a whole grain cookbook. To learn more about the Instagram contest, see here.
In addition to our Instagram contest, here are a dozen ideas to celebrate Whole Grains Month this September.
Challenge yourself to check oﬀ as many as possible!
Join the Whole Grains Month Celebrations
Buy three diﬀerent loaves of whole-grain bread and taste all of them to ﬁnd your favorite.
Serve bulgur or brown rice instead of potatoes with dinner one night this month.
- Look for the Whole Grain Stamp every time you shop.
- Try a new breakfast cereal with at least 16 grams of whole grain per serving.
- Buy a new kind of whole-wheat pasta and use it in your favorite pasta recipe.
- Visit a health food store or major grocery and admire all the diﬀerent grains in bulk bins.
- Make your favorite whole grain recipe for a friend.
- Over the weekend, whip up a pot of steel-cut oatmeal.
- Make pizza for the kids with whole wheat pita as the crust (or with whole wheat pizza dough). Try our recipe here.
- Bake your favorite cookies, but use whole wheat ﬂour instead of white.
- Grill up hamburgers and serve them on whole wheat buns at your next cookout.
- Try all of the WGC’s Dozen Easy Family Whole Grain Recipes.
Kelly Toups, RD, Whole Grains Council program director