1 bunch of collard greens, chopped into thin strips
1 bag of Brussels sprouts (roughly 12 sprouts), chopped into halves
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium-size red onion, sliced into thin half moons
6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh oregano (minced) or ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch of salt
½ cup pecans
- To soften the Brussels sprouts and greens, ﬁrst steam them in 1 cup of water in a covered pan, until tender (6-8 minutes).
- Drain water from pan, move Brussels sprouts and collards into a covered bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat in the pan.
- Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the mustard and oregano.
- Add collards and Brussels sprouts to the pan and toss with spoon, to coat.
- Add a pinch of salt along with the pecans, and cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes, roughly stirring once per minute so that the onions, garlic, mustard, and pecans cover all the vegetables.
An Oldways recipe and photo. Media: contact us for permission to reprint and for a hi-res image.