2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium-size yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large sweet potato, chopped into medium-size cubes
2 large carrots, cut into thin rounds
2 green zucchini, cut into thin half-rounds
1 small can (15oz) of diced tomatoes, no salt added
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 tablespoon curry power
¼ cup natural peanut butter
3 sprigs of fresh thyme, minced, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Sea salt to taste
- Heat the oil in one of the soup pots on medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent (3-4 minutes).
- While the onions and garlic cook, chop up the sweet potato, carrots, and zucchini.
- Add sweet potato and vegetables to the pot; saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and curry powder, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the peanut butter and the thyme to the stew. Let it cook, covered, for another 3-5 minutes.
- Salt to taste, serve and enjoy!
Oldways recipe. Photo Credit: Thanks to Adante Hart, ATOAH Teacher in Baltimore, MD. This recipe is from our cooking program, A Taste of African Heritage. Learn more about it here, and watch our video about the program!
Media: This recipe and photo may be reproduced with credit “Recipe courtesy of Oldways; photo by Adante Hart.” Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a hi-res photo (4608px x 3072px available).