Brussels Sprouts with Farro and Shallot Honey Vinaigrette
When roasted, Brussels sprouts become crispy on the outside and tender and sweet on the inside. The dressing for this hearty salad brings out their sharp yet light flavor.
- 15 Brussels sprouts
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cooked farro
- 2 cups arugula
- 10 seedless red grapes
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan Reggiano
- 1/3 cup roasted walnuts
- Shallot Honey Vinaigrette
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the vinaigrette: Combine the shallot, honey, and mustard in a blender until combined. Slowly drizzle the oil into the blender. As the mixture thickens, slowly add the water. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. (You will need only 1 tablespoon for this recipe; save the rest to enjoy on salads or other roasted vegetables.)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Trim the Brussels sprouts, discarding the hard bases. Remove and save the outer leaves until only the heart of each sprout remains. Cut each heart in half, season with salt, pepper, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Roast until well browned (about 5 minutes). Cool completely. Toss the sprouts with 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette and the remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe created by Chef Tiffani Faison of Rocca Kitchen & Bar, courtesy of California Walnut Board and Commision