Prep time15 minutes
1 pound of fresh okra (keep the okra whole, uncut)
bowl of ice water
¼ of a lemon
¼ teaspoon of olive oil for oiling pan
1 teaspoon sea salt
- Boil the okra in a shallow pan of water until soft (3-4 minutes).
- Submerge boiled okra in a bowl of ice water, let cool for 1 minute.
- Rub a quarter teaspoon of olive oil onto a ﬂat skillet and heat on high until very hot.
- Toss okra into skillet and let sizzle; spritz with lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt; check for blackening on the face-down side after about 2 minutes.
- Once charred on one side, ﬂip and blacken the other side.
- Spritz with lemon and salt again on the unseasoned side. Enjoy!
An Oldways recipe