Have you ever walked through the grocery store, stumped as to what you should be eating, how you should prepare it, and how to aﬀord it on a budget? If so, you’re in luck — supermarket dietitians are dedicated to helping shoppers navigate the aisles, answering questions about food and nutrition, and more. Many supermarkets across the country have realized the important role that dietitians play in inﬂuencing people to make healthier choices, and wisely, have brought them into stores.
If you haven’t made the acquaintance of your local supermarket dietitian, you might not know just how many ways they can help.
Here are 12 great reasons to get to know your local retail dietitian:
1. They know the best places to ﬁnd good food, whether it’s in the grocery store or the local farmers market, and they’ll gladly divulge their secrets.
3. They can tell us which foods are best to enjoy, fresh versus frozen versus canned. This guide is a good place to start.
4. They love to eat — and prepare — good food. Retail dieititians have a cache of easy recipes along with lots of tips and techniques for getting dinner on the table easily.
5. They can translate the Dietary Guidelines for Americans so we can actually understand them. Here’s how the Oldways RD translated the guidelines into an easily digestible guide to eating well: the Oldways Cart.
6. They keep up-to-date with the latest health studies, so they can answer questions and guide you toward the best foods that meet our needs.
7. They understand that we are what we eat, and that good food is our best defense against disease.
8. They inspire us because they practice what they preach by eating well, getting all forms of exercise (some are marathon runners!) and enjoying the pleasures of the table with family and friends.
9. They have lots of great materials to share, including coupons!
10. They enjoy feeding people. You’ll ﬁnd them handing out food samples in the store or hosting cooking classes and demos, two great ways for shoppers to try new foods and ﬂavors without any commitment.
11. They make learning about good food and a healthy lifestyle entertaining. If you haven’t been to a treasure hunt or store tour in your local market yet, you’re missing out!
12. They are nutrition rock stars — appearing on television and radio, writing for blogs and print media, and hosting their own podcasts. They’re everywhere, but most importantly, they’re in our local supermarkets ready to introduce us to the world of good food and great health.
Next time you take a trip to your local market, ask for your supermarket dietitian and get to know them. And, if your market hasn’t hired one yet, talk with the manager. You’re now armed with 12 good reasons why they should!
The Oldways Nutrition Exchange provides dietitians, other healthcare professionals, and anyone interested in eating healthier with a variety of resources including recipes, cooking tips and techniques, roundups of research studies, and so much more. Learn more about the ONE resources here.