12 ounces whole grain pasta, any shape (whole wheat casarecce is the type of pasta shown)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch Swiss chard, chopped
2 cans wild sardines, spines removed and roughly chopped
1 tablespoon capers
1 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
¼ teaspoon pepper
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon red chili ﬂakes, plus more for serving
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a deep sauce pan and bring heat to medium.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add Swiss chard and sauté until the leaves are soft.
- Add sardines, capers, cherry tomatoes, salt, pepper, and chili ﬂakes. Mix in the pan.
- When pasta is cooked to al dente, remove from heat and drain.
- Add the pasta to the pan with other ingredients plus 1 teaspoon olive oil. Mix.
- Add lemon zest, fresh parsley, and extra red chili ﬂakes if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Emilia Petrucci and Oldways. Media: contact us for permission to reprint and for a hi-res image.
Total Fat: 9.1g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Added Sugar: 0g