2 quarts vegetable broth
½ pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup ﬁnely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, ﬁnely chopped
2 cups uncooked sprouted brown rice
2 carrots, trimmed and chopped
2 zucchini, trimmed and chopped
½ cup fresh or frozen and thawed peas
⅔ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon butter
Sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot cover broth and bring to a simmer.
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring gently, until toasted and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the hot broth and cook, stirring constantly, adjusting the cooking to a simmer until liquid is almost absorbed. Repeat process, adding about ½ cup of the broth each time, until rice is just beginning to get tender, about 25 minutes. Add asparagus and carrots, continuing the process with the broth.
- When rice is just al dente and asparagus and carrots are just tender, add zucchini and cook 5 minutes more. (If broth gets low, add water as needed.)
- Stir peas into rice and cook until hot throughout, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add cheese, butter, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add about ½ cup more liquid to ﬁnished risotto before serving, if necessary for desired texture.