1 ¾ cups (about ½ pound) raw almonds
6 large eggs, separated
1 ¼ cups superﬁne sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Grated zest of 1 orange
4 drops almond extract
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
Butter and ﬂour for the cake pan, or parchment paper for pan
1. Preheat oven at 350º F. Grease a springform pan (or one with a removable bottom) with butter and dust it with ﬂour. Or, ﬁt the pan with parchment paper.
2. Finely grind the almonds in a food processor until crumbly, but before they become a paste.
3. In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks with the sugar to a smooth, pale cream. Beat in the zests and almond extract. Add the ground almonds and mix very well.
4. With clean beaters, beat the egg whites in a large bowl until stiﬀ peaks form. Fold them into the egg and almond mixture (the mixture is thick, so you will need to turn it over quite a bit into the egg whites).
5. Pour the cake batter into the greased pan, and bake for about 40 minutes, or until it feels ﬁrm to the touch. Let cool before turning out.
6. Just before serving, dust the top of the cake with confectioners’ sugar.
Recipe adapted from Claudia Roden in The Food of Spain. An Oldways photo.
Total Fat: 18g
Saturated Fat: 2.5g
Total Sugars: 31g (Added Sugar: 30g)