½ cup rolled oats
½ cup sesame seeds
¼ teaspoon salt
10 soft dates
¼ cup tahini
1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 7 lemons)
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
14 oz extra ﬁrm tofu
zest of 2 lemons
¼ teaspoon turmeric, for color
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8x8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add oats & sesame seeds to a high powered blender or food processor and pulse for about 30 seconds, until the sesame seeds break down into a crumbly powder. Add the salt, dates and tahini and blend for another minute, until everything is combined.
- Transfer mixture to the parchment-lined baking dish and spread evenly to form a crust, pressing down ﬁrmly until it’s evenly distributed and well packed. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and there is some browning on the surface. Remove from oven to cool slightly.
- While the crust is baking, add all ﬁlling ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- After crust cooks, pour ﬁlling evenly on top and cook 35 minutes at 350°F.
- Let cool 10 minutes, then refrigerate uncovered for at least 2 hours (to let the custard set) before cutting with a sharp knife. Cut into 9 pieces and store covered in the refrigerator.
An Oldways recipe, courtesy of Kelly Toups
Total Fat: 10g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Total Sugar: 13g (Added Sugar: 7g)