1 pound durum wheat pasta (any shape), preferably whole wheat
1 pound frozen shrimp (already cooked) (NOTE: If the shrimp has not been cooked, be sure to cook the shrimp ahead of time)
1 pound frozen vegetable(s) of choice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Basil or oregano, to taste (optional)
Juice of one lemon (optional)
Cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Thaw the shrimp in a bowl of cool or lukewarm water to thaw. Trim the tails and set aside.
- Fill a large stock pot with 6 quarts of cold water and 1 tablespoon of salt. Turn heat to high and cover to bring to a rolling boil.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil.
- When the water is at a full boil, cook the pasta and the frozen vegetables together.
- Drain pasta and vegetables, add them to the onions and garlic in the skillet, mix together well and cook for 1-2 additional minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, as well as herbs and lemon and tomato (optional)
Recipe, content courtesy of Oldways. Photo: fotolia.com