Active time15 minutes
Total time30 minutes
1 pound durum wheat pasta (any shape), preferably whole wheat
1 pound raw, frozen shrimp
1 pound frozen vegetable(s) of choice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Basil or oregano, to taste (optional)
Juice of one lemon (optional)
Cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Thaw the shrimp in the fridge overnight, or in a bowl of cool water 20-30 minutes before cooking. Trim the tails and set aside.
- Fill a large stock pot with 6 quarts of cold water and 1 tablespoon of salt. Turn heat to high and cover to bring to a rolling boil.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion in olive oil for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for another minute. Move the onion and garlic to a large bowl and set aside. Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side, until pink. When they are done, add them to the onions and garlic.
- Meanwhile, when the water is at a full boil add the pasta. Add the frozen vegetables to the pasta pot according to their cook time. (For example, frozen peas should go in ~6 minutes before the pasta is done, frozen peppers should go in ~3 minutes before the pasta is done, etc. Check the package for timing.)
- Drain pasta and vegetables, add them to the onions, garlic, and shrimp. Mix together well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, as well as herbs and lemon and tomato (optional)
Recipe, content courtesy of Oldways.
Total Fat: 12g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Total Sugars: 5g (Added Sugar: 0g)
Review this Recipe