For the peppers:
1 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
1 can cooked chickpeas
⅓ cup pitted olives, halved
1 cup packed chopped baby spinach leaves
4 oz halloumi cheese, chopped into pea-sized pieces (about ⅔ cup)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
5 bell peppers
For the sauce:
1 cup packed chopped mint
½ cup Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
⅛ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Set oven to 400°F. While the oven preheats, cook the bulgur according to package instructions.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked bulgur with the chickpeas, olives, spinach, halloumi, salt, pepper, and cumin.
- To prepare the peppers for stuﬃng, slice oﬀ the stemmed top, then use a paring knife to remove the ribs and seeds from the interior. Stuﬀ the peppers with the bulgur mixture,
- Set peppers in a baking dish lined with about an inch of water and bake for 1 hour.
- While the peppers are cooking, add all sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Top cooked peppers with a generous dollop of sauce before serving.
An Oldways recipe, courtesy of Kelly Toups
Total Fat: 15g
Saturated Fat: 5g