4 ½ ounces long grain brown rice
2 ½ cups fresh or frozen cherries, no sugar added
½ teaspoon lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons water
2 cups skim milk
2 cups evaporated skim milk
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Prepare the rice as instructed on the package.
- While the rice is cooking, make the Sneaky Chef Cherry Puree. Combine the cherries, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of water in the food processor and puree on high until as smooth as possible. Stop occasionally to push the contents to the bottom. If necessary, use another tablespoon of water to smooth out the puree. (Makes about 2 cups of puree. Leftovers can be kept in refrigerator for up to three days, or frozen for up to three months.)
- In a medium saucepan, combine skim milk, evaporated milk, ¼ cup Cherry Puree, sugar, cinnamon, salt, cocoa powder and vanilla. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
- Add cooked rice and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes until thickened.
- Pour into serving bowls and enjoy!
Missy Chase Lapine, for Uncle Ben’s. For more delicious rice recipes, visit Uncle Ben’s.
Total Fat: 1 g
(Saturated Fat: 0 g)
Sodium: 170 mg
Carbohydrate: 44 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 9 g