2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas (unsalted), or 3 cups cooked chickpeas
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large onion, ﬁnely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic cloves, ﬁnely chopped
2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and grated
1⁄2 cup tomato sauce (unsalted)
1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
2 ½ cups water
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Rinse canned beans in a strainer. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds, and cook for a few seconds until cumin seeds turn golden brown. Add onion and fry 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Add garlic and ginger, and cook for a few seconds, until fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce, turmeric, coriander, and cayenne pepper, and stir for a few seconds. Add the chickpeas and stir to coat with the onion mixture. Add water and salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low boil, and simmer for 15 minutes. Using the back of a spoon, mash a few chickpeas against the pan to thicken the curry.
- Add garam masala and lemon juice. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro.
An Oldways recipe, courtesy of Madhu Gadia
Total Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Total Sugar: 3g (Added Sugar: 0g)