1 bunch beets with greens (4-5 small-medium beets)
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
½ teaspoon salt, divided
1 ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
juice of ½ lemon
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts (from about 1 pound chicken)
½ cup shelled pistachios
12 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Trim the roots and leaves oﬀ of the beets (reserving the greens), wash the beets under running water, then use a vegetable peeler to peel oﬀ any particularly rough or dirty patches.
- Combine the beets and 2 teaspoons of the oil in a foil packet and bake on a sheet pan for approximately 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly wash the beet greens in a salad spinner, chop or tear them into bite sized pieces, and then let them air dry while the beets continue cooking. When you remove the beets from the oven, keep the oven on. Toss the beet greens with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt, and then bake on the same sheet pan as the beets (scooting the foil packet over to make room, if necessary) for 15 minutes, until the greens take on the consistency of “kale chips” and the beets are fork tender. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt until well combined.
- Add the diced chicken, the cooled beets and crispy beet greens, and the pistachios to the mixture. Scoop about ¼-⅓ cup of the mixture between two slices of whole grain bread.
An Oldways recipe, courtesy of Kelly Toups
Total Fat: 13g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Total Sugar: 13g (Added Sugar: 0g)