10 ounces fresh spinach
1 medium potato
1 ½ teaspoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons ground coriander
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Wash and chop the spinach, set aside. Peel, wash, and cut the potato into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds until the cumin seeds are golden brown. Add the potatoes, coat with the oil in the pan, and reduce the heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until lightly brown.
- Add the spinach to the pan with the potatoes, and sprinkle with the salt, turmeric, coriander, and cayenne pepper (if using). Stir to mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and heat through. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 12–15 minutes, until potatoes are tender to the touch. Stir once or twice as it cooks.
- If there is any excess liquid accumulated, increase heat to evaporate it. Transfer to a serving dish.
Recipe and photo courtesy Madhu Gadia. Reprinted with permission from the New Indian Home Cooking by Madhu Gadia, MS, RD (Penguin Group), CuisineOfIndia.com
Total Fat: 2.5g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Total Sugar: 1g
Added Sugar: 0g