(photo via Rogers Food)
Congratulations to Nicole Shelley for winning the Latin American Diet Recipe Contest with her amazing recipe for Enchilada Soup! It was tasty, nutritious and a real treat for the judges to sample. To see a list of the Top Ten Favorites, visit the Latino Nutrition Coalition website. Thanks to everyone who entered, and enjoy this award-winning recipe below!
Enchilada Soup by Nicole Shelley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 carrots
- 4 ribs celery
- 1 large yellow onion
- 8 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 16 ounce can green enchilada sauce
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 12 count package low fat corn tortillas ( cut into strips)
- 1 cup grated reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- diced avocado (optional)
- low fat sour cream (optional)
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- In a large pot saute carrots, celery, and yellow onion in olive oil until tender. Add diced tomatoes and broth, bring to a low boil. Add enchilada sauce and chicken. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are soft and the chicken is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Place 2 tortillas cut into strips and a sprinkle of cheese into the bottom of 6 bowls. Ladle soup over tortillas and cheese. If desired, serve topped with diced avocado, low fat sour cream and fresh cilantro.