Yuca root (pronouced yoo-cuh) is enjoyed as a staple starch throughout Africa, the Caribbean, and Latin America. Also known as cassava or manioc, yuca root is high in fiber, antioxidants, and many beneficial nutrients. Yuca’s consistency, and sweet earthy flavor are perfect for hearty , healthy oven fries. Kids will especially love this recipe!
2 medium sized Yuca Roots, peeled
1 tablespoon olive oil
Dried or fresh Thyme
Ground black pepper
- Peel the waxy brown skin from the yuca roots and chop each one in half, widthwise at the middle, to make 4 pieces.
- Place yuca in a medium sized pot or saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil with a pinch of sea salt. Cook the yuca until you can pierce it with a fork (about 20-25 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- When cooked, drain water and lay the yuca on a paper towel.
- When cool enough, pat the yuca dry and chop the pieces into “French fry” sticks. Place the fries on a baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with olive oil, and season with sea salt, pepper, and thyme. Use as much thyme as needed to dust each fry.
- Bake the fries in the oven for 20 minutes, until golden, turning once.
*A perfect pair for a garlicky dipping sauce like Oldways’ Garlicky Dill Mojo Sauce!