Active time30 minutes
Total time1 hour 30 minutes
Serving Size1/8 recipe
2 medium-to-large eggplants
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
½ cup water
2-3 celery stalks, diced
1 medium-sized onion, diced
¼ cup capers (preferably Pantellerian)
1 ½ tablespoons sugar
¼ cup tomato sauce (homemade or store bought), or more if desired
1 tablespoon vinegar
¼ cup ﬁnely minced peanuts, toasted
¼ cup black olives (optional)
- Peel the eggplants, and dice into 1⁄2-inch cubes. Arrange the eggplant cubes on a sheet, salt, and let sit, or “sweat,” for 1 hour.
- In a medium frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the extra-virgin olive oil and the water over medium heat. Add the onion and celery, and sauté over medium heat until the water evaporates. Add the capers, olives (if using), sugar, and tomato sauce, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Separately, heat the remaining 6 tablesppoons olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Fry the eggplant cubes until cooked through, 7-10 minutes.
- Add the celery, onion, and tomato sauce mixture to the eggplant.
- Stir in the vinegar.
- Serve the caponata in four portions, topping each with a sprinkling of the toasted peanuts.
An Oldways recipe and photograph, created in Partnership with The Peanut Institute peanut-institute.org
Total Fat: 16g
Saturated Fat: 2.5g
Total Sugar: 8g (Added Sugar: 2g)
Review this Recipe