Active time35 minutes
Total time35 minutes
Serving Size1/4 recipe
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon ﬁsh sauce
½ teaspoon light brown sugar
2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
½ cup onion, sliced
½ cup carrots, grated
2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
3 to 4 Thai chilis, minced (adjust the amount or use diﬀerent chilis to achieve desired heat/spice preference)
8 ounces boneless chicken thighs (or breasts or tenders), cut into ½-inch pieces
1 cup thinly sliced shiitake caps or white mushrooms
½ cup roasted unsalted cashew nuts
2 scallions, root ends and tough green tips trimmed, cut into ½-inch pieces
2 cups cooked brown rice, for serving
- In a small bowl, combine oyster sauce, ﬁsh sauce, and sugar. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or large sauté pan over high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the onion and cook about 1 minute, until it just begins to soften but not brown, stirring often. Add the garlic and chilis and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and continue to stir until most of the chicken becomes opaque and white; about 2 minutes—do not cook all the way through at this point. Add the carrots and mushrooms to the pan, continuing to stir as the vegetables cook; about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved sauce and cook, continuing to stir, until the chicken is fully cooked with an internal temperature of 165°F and the sauce is heated through, about 1 minute. If it takes longer to cook the chicken and the sauce is drying out, add water as needed.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the cashew nuts and scallions. Serve with brown rice.
An Oldways recipe and photo.
Total Fat: 19g
Saturated Fat: 4g
Review this Recipe