3 tablespoons olive oil
1 (approximately 5 ounce) link sweet Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
4 cloves garlic, minced
⅛ teaspoon red pepper ﬂakes
1 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
1 (28-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes with juices
¾ cup French green lentils
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 pound whole wheat pasta
½ cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven or large pot over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and onion, and cook until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the carrot and celery. Cook until the onion is browned and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the rosemary, sage, garlic, and red pepper ﬂakes. Cook until fragrant, 2 minutes.
- Then stir in the tomato paste and allow it to brown, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and 1 ½ cups of water, using a spoon or spatula to break up the tomatoes.
- Stir in the lentils, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let the lentils simmer gently until tender, about 40-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another large pot, bring water to a boil, then cook the pasta according to package instructions. Before draining the pasta, scoop out some of the pasta water with a mug or measuring cup and reserve it. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- When the lentils are done cooking, add the cooked pasta to the dutch oven, add a splash of the pasta cooking water, and the cheese, and toss until the pasta is coated.
An Oldways recipe, courtesy of Kelly Toups (adapted from a Melissa Clark recipe)
Total Fat: 12g
Saturated Fat: 2.5g
Total Sugar: 7g (Added Sugar: 0g)