Ingredients for Eggplant
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to brush on eggplant slices
Ingredients for Peanut Filling
1 ½ cups dry roasted unsalted peanuts
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon ground coriander
1 ½ teaspoons white wine vinegar
Ingredients for Turkish Tomato Sauce
1 (15-ounce) can diced, no-salt-added tomatoes, drained
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons tomato paste, no-salt-added
1 small onion, ﬁnely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons dried mint
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons Aleppo or Maras Pepper (can substitute red pepper ﬂakes)
Instructions for Eggplant Peanut Rollup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and lightly brush it with olive oil.
- Cut eggplants lengthwise, so you have thin slices of eggplant. Place eggplant slices on the baking sheet and very lightly brush each side with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes total (15 minutes on each side).
- While the eggplant is baking, prepare the peanut ﬁlling. Put peanuts, garlic and coriander into a food processor and pulse, grind. Add in the white wine vinegar. If necessary, for a smoother paste, add in small amounts of hot water
- After the eggplant slices have roasted for 30 minutes, place a tablespoon of the peanut ﬁlling at one end of the eggplant slice and then roll it up.
Instructions for Turkish Tomato Sauce
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium low and then add tomato paste and cook, stirring until the olive oil begins to turn orangey-red.
- Add all the onion, garlic, mint and Aleppo or Maras pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, drained and mix, also smashing the tomatoes until the sauce is smoother.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, making sure the sauce doesn’t burn or stick to the pan.
- Spoon the Turkish Tomato Sauce over the ﬁlled Eggplant Peanut Rolls and serve. Brieﬂy warm in the oven if necessary.
An Oldways recipe and photograph, created in Partnership with The Peanut Institute peanut-institute.org
Total Fat: 22g
Saturated Fat: 3.5g
Total Sugar: 8g (Added Sugar: 0g)
How'd it Taste?
Review this Recipe