Active time45 minutes
Total time45 minutes
Yield4 generous servings
3 cups of water
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup of dry whole grain polenta (whole grain yellow corn grits)
1 teaspoon of any dried spice of choice (sage, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, etc.)
1-2 tablespoons of oil or butter of choice (including vegan butter)
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a saucepan.
- Slowly pour the polenta into the boiling water in a steady stream, stirring while you do so. Turn down the heat to low and continue whisking until the polenta has thickened enough that it doesn’t settle back on the bottom of the pan when you stop stirring.
- After 20 minutes of cooking, stir in the spices and oil.
- Cook the polenta for an addtional 10 to 20 minutes, adding water as needed. Stir vigorously every 5 to 10 minutes, making sure to scrape the sides, bottom, and corners of the pan. Cook 30 minutes total for softer porridge-like polenta or 40 minutes for thicker polenta.
- Serve immediately, in a bowl topped with your favorite legumes, veggies and sauce!
Note: Make sure to get whole grain polenta. If the package says “degerminated,” it’s not whole grain.
An Oldways recipe.
How'd it Taste?
Review this Recipe