2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, peeled, diced
6 cloves garlic whole, peeled
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
½ teaspoon saﬀron, annatto, or turmeric
1 teaspoon Piri-Piri spice or 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, halved and seeded.
2 large all-purpose potatoes, peeled, diced
A large chunk Calabasa squash or butternut squash, peeled and diced (4 cups)
2 quarts water, chicken, or vegetable stock
1 bunch black kale (Lacinato), or collard greens, rolled and sliced very thin
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 2 cups sliced or cooked crumbled chorizo sausage
- Heat the oil in a saucepot large enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Add the onion, garlic, fennel seeds, saﬀron or annatto or turmeric and Piri Piri Spice. Sauté for 2 minutes to soften.
- Add the potatoes, squash and water or stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 35-40 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Puree with a hand held immersion blender or for a chunkier version mash with a potato masher. Continue to simmer
- Add the thinly sliced kale. If using chorizo and chick peas add now. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes longer.
Chef Steven Petusevsky
Total fat: 6g
Saturated fat: 1g
Total Sugar: 8g
Added Sugar: 0g