On this memorable trip, Oldways and world-renowned nutrition and lifestyle medicine expert Dr. David Katz and his wife, Dr. Catherine Katz, a scientist and Mediterranean cooking expert, joined forces for a week-long exploration of the dazzling island of Sicily. Read on for an overview of the trip, and check out Catherine Katz’s website to see the group in action!
We spent four nights in Palermo and three in Siracusa (Ortigia), with lots of adventure in between. In Palermo, we visited spectacular food markets and museums, and enjoyed a longer guided tour of the Monreale Cathedral and its magniﬁcent mosaics. We had a day at Anna Tasca Lanza’s legendary cooking school/winery/restaurant/hotel Regaleali, and another day at Agrigento, a large archaeological site with well-preserved Greek temples. We ﬁnished our week in and around Ortigia, a small island that is the historical center of the city of Siracusa, well known for its stunning Greek amphitheater built in the 5th century BC.
Registered dietitians were eligible for an estimated 17 CPE credits.
Our Sicilian exploration included:
Sunday, April 8 — Benvenuto
- Arrival in Palermo and check in at Grand Hotel Wagner
- Welcome Session with a presentation by Dr. David Katz, followed by a Sicilian Wine Tasting and Welcome Dinner
Monday, April 9 — Tradition
- Guided tour of Palermo, with a walk through the city’s Capo Market and a visit to the spectacular baroque cathedral.
- Lunch in Palermo at Corona Trattoria, with a presentation by culinary historian Mary Taylor Simeti
- Dinner in Palermo
Tuesday, April 10 — Regaleali Day
- Arrive at Regaleali, a cooking school/winery/restaurant
- Wine tour and visit to the gardens
- Discussion with David and Catherine Katz about Mediterranean cooking—Sicilian style
- Cooking demo and wine tasting
- Lunch: same foods as cooking demo
- Return to Palermo and free evening in Palermo
Wednesday, April 11 — Art and Culture
- Palermo Street Food Tour (divided into small groups)
- Guided visit to the Monreale Cathedral with its magniﬁcent mosaics
- Early Dinner at Cucina Papoﬀ
Thursday, April 12 — Agrigento: Valley of the Gods, Valley of the Temples
- Check out of the hotel and depart for Agrigento
- Guided tour of Agrigento, a large Greek archaeological site
- Country lunch with an olive oil tasting by Giuseppe Taibi, of Oilio Taibi
- Drive to Siracusa and check in at the Grand Hotel Ortigia
- Free evening in Ortigia or Siracusa
Friday, April 13 — Cooking!
- Cooking Class with Catherine and David Katz
- Lunch: the dishes cooked in the class
- Free time
- Dinner in Ortigia
Saturday, April 14 — Options!
- Choose between:
- Vineyard tour and lunch OR
- Guided visit to Modica (for chocolate) and Ragusa (for cheese) OR
- Guided tour of ancient Siracusa OR
- Free day to shop or relax
- Farewell dinner in Ortigia
Sunday, April 15 — Arrivederci
- Departure from Catania airport or additional travel on own
Sicily Culinaria 2018