1 pound pumpkin
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove of garlic, ﬁnely chopped
1 large onion, diced
Pinch of grated nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 bay leaf
3 ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable stock
1 cup fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon loosely packed brown sugar
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoon toasted pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons pumpkin seed oil
- Peel and de-seed the pumpkin. Cut the pumpkin into cubes and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the diced pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and orange juice and add the brown sugar.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and discard the bay leaf.
- Using a blender, puree half the mixture.
- Return the mixture to the pan with the remaining chunky soup.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds and drizzle pumpkin seed oil.
- Serve with warm, crusty bread.
Recipe courtesy of International Collection; photo Fotolia.