¼ large red onion, sliced paper-thin
1 can water-packed tuna, drained 1 can (about 15 oz.)
1 (15 oz) low-sodium or no-added-sodium white beans, drained and rinsed
½ teaspoon dried Italian herbs (basil, oregano or a mix)
1 medium tomato, diced
3 cups lettuce
Juice of ½ lemon (about 2 Tablespoons)
2 Tablespoons wine vinegar
2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Combine all salad ingredients except lettuce in a large bowl.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients and mix. Serve over lettuce.
Variations and Tips:
- You can substitute cherry tomatoes or red pepper for the tomato.
- If you use tuna packed in olive oil, don’t drain it — and skip the extra olive oil.
- If you have fresh herbs, substitute ¼ cup basil leaves and 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped oregano.
NOTE: This nutritional analysis does not include the suggested side serving of whole grain bread, as breads vary widely in nutritional composition.
An Oldways recipe and photo.
Total Fat 11g
Saturated Fat 1g
Sodium 271 mg