¼ large red onion, sliced paper-thin
1 can water-packed tuna, drained 1 can (about 15 oz.)
1 (15 oz) low-sodium or no-added-sodium white beans, drained and rinsed
½ teaspoon dried Italian herbs (basil, oregano or a mix)
1 medium tomato, diced
3 cups lettuce
Juice of ½ lemon (about 2 Tablespoons)
2 Tablespoons wine vinegar
2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Combine all salad ingredients except lettuce in a large bowl.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients and mix. Serve over lettuce.
Variations and Tips:
- You can substitute cherry tomatoes or red pepper for the tomato.
- If you use tuna packed in olive oil, don’t drain it — and skip the extra olive oil.
- If you have fresh herbs, substitute ¼ cup basil leaves and 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped oregano.
NOTE: This nutritional analysis does not include the suggested side serving of whole grain bread, as breads vary widely in nutritional composition.
An Oldways recipe and photo.