Oldways partnered with the Nutrition Foundation of Italy (NFI) to organize an International Consensus Summit on Glycemic Index, Glycemic Load and Glycemic Response on June 6-7, 2013 in Stresa, in the Italian Lakes District, north of Milan.
The purposes of this meeting were:
- to bring together international experts in the ﬁeld of carbohydrates and health in order to present/discuss the issues related to the role of glycemic index/glycemic load/glycemic response in the prevention and treatment of disease; and
- to develop a solid Scientiﬁc Consensus Statement on what can be agreed upon regarding glycemic index/glycemic load/glycemic response. The document was drafted by speakers at the end of the Summit in a separate afternoon session on June 7.
Program and Speakers
In order to develop a Scientiﬁc Consensus Statement at the end of the Summit, the scientiﬁc program is designed to answer a number of questions about glycemic index, load, and management through presentations by a number of the world’s top nutrition scientists on the subject. These speakers from North America, Europe and Australia include: David Jenkins, Cyril Kendall, John Sievenpiper and Tom Wolever from the University of Toronto; Walter Willett from the Harvard School of Public Health; Salwa Rizkalla of the National Institute of Health and Medical Research (INSERM) in Paris; Simin Liu of Brown University; Antonia Trichopoulou from the Athens School of Medicine; Gabriele Riccardi from Federico II University in Naples; Furio Brighenti from the University of Parma; Carlo La Vecchia from Mario Negri Institute in Milan; Antonio Ceriello from IDIBAPS, Barcelona; Jennie Brand-Miller from the University of Sydney; and Alan Barclay of the GI Foundation in Australia.
Please click here for the full scientiﬁc program and to access speakers’ presentations.
Scientiﬁc Organizing Committee
- Livia Augustin, PhD, Nutritionist and Research Fellow, St. Michael’s Hospital (Toronto, Canada)
- Sara Baer-Sinnott, President, Oldways (Boston, USA)
- Cyril Kendall, PhD, Research Associate, University of Toronto; Adj. Professor, University of Saskatchewan (Saskatoon, Canada)
- Andrea Poli, MD, Scientiﬁc Director, Nutrition Foundation of Italy (Milan, Italy)
NFI – Nutrition Foundation of Italy
NFI — Nutrition Foundation of Italy was created in December 1976 with the goal of enabling interaction and collaboration with government bodies, universities and industry to contribute to the development of scientiﬁc research, to the exchange of information in the ﬁeld of nutrition and to the promotion of interdisciplinary researches in this area. NFI has a Scientiﬁc Committee of Experts with recognized competence in the diﬀerent disciplines related to food and beverage.
NFI is partner of the European Nutrition Foundations Network.
NFI- Nutrition Foundation of Italy
Viale Tunisia 38 — 20124 Milan — Italy
t: +39 02 76006271 • f: +39 02 76003514
Oldways and the Nutrition Foundation of Italy sincerely thank the following companies for their unrestricted ﬁnancial support of this International Scientiﬁc Consensus Summit.