Why Should Dietitians “Study Abroad”?
Take your nutrition career to the next level through travel! At Oldways, we often say that by honoring cultural diﬀerences in eating, the healthier, happier, and more connected we will be.
Study abroad programs for dietitians, like the week-long culinary tours oﬀered by Oldways, allow dietitians to:
- Participate in cooking demonstrations and hands-on cooking classes
- Speak with and learn from local chefs, farmers, and culinary experts
- Shop in traditional marketplaces and stores, and visit farms, wineries, and small traditional food producers
- Learn a cuisine’s historical and cultural context
- Earn 12+ CPEU credits
When they return home, these dietitans:
- Have a richer understanding of cultural foods
- Practice cultural humility
- Build a stronger rapport with patients of all cultural backgrounds
- Feel energized and inspired to create diverse menus and diet suggestions
“By traveling to other countries and immersing myself in their culinary landscapes, I feel better equipped to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds in a way that is respectful of their dietary preferences. Not only can learning about diﬀerent cultural foods help improve dietitians’ menu and diet suggestions, it can also help dietitians build rapport and trust.”
—Kelly Toups MLA, RD, LDN, Director of Nutrition at Oldways
Watch Dietitians Talk About their Study Abroad Experiences
Watch as Oldways President Sara Baer-Sinnott, and dietitians Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RD, and Carolyn O’Neil, MS, RD, discuss their favorite memories from culinary tours abroad, and how these experiences helped them advance their careers.
Find Your Next Study Abroad Trip and Earn CPEU Credit
Immerse yourself in delicious and nutritious global diets! Oldways’ weeklong culinary tours are led with acclaimed chefs and experts, and include cooking demonstrations, tours of farms and marketplaces, and other outside-the-guidebook food experiences. The CPEU hours vary from trip to trip, and most are eligible for more than a dozen hours.
Find your dream study abroad experience below! Registration is open for most of our 2022 tours.
Click on a 2022 Study Abroad Destination to Learn More:
Turkey | Portugal | Low Country (USA) | Hudson Valley (USA) | Umbria (Italy) | Naples & Amalﬁ (Italy)
Add a Comment