When most people think of soup, they think of huddling over a steaming bowl on a cold winter’s night. However, when the weather is hot, soups of the chilled variety can be equally as soothing and comforting. Along with providing relief from the heat, chilled summer soups oﬀer a healthy and refreshing take on the season’s fresh fruits and vegetables. In addition, chilled soups can be a surprisingly hearty and satisfying meal — a great alternative to salads! Chilled Avocado Soup *Chili powder and chopped jalapeño add a touch of heat to this smooth appetizer Ingredients
- 2 ripe medium avocados, halved, pitted
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped seeded jalepeño chili
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup (about) canned low-salt chicken broth
- Scrape avocados from skin into processor. Add buttermilk and yogurt; puree until smooth. Mix in lime juice, jalepeño and chili powder. With machine running, blend in ½ cup broth.
- Season with salt and pepper. Chill soup until cold. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep chilled).