Aromatic Shrimp Salad with Mango and Peanuts
Recipe by Chris Schlesinger, can be found in The Oldways Table
This dish from Chris Schlesinger is inspired by his many trips to Southeast Asia and is a beautiful and healthy mix of seafood, fruit and nuts. It embodies his signature boldness with intense ﬂavors.
1 pound large shrimp (12 to 16)
2 ﬁrm mangos, peeled and cut into medium dice
1 red bell pepper, cut into medium dice
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into medium dice
¼ cup fresh mint leaves
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
3 tablespoons Asian ﬁsh sauce
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
¼ cup roasted unsalted peanuts, minced
¼ cup ﬁnely diced scallions, white and tender green parts
1 tablespoon minced fresh chiles
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- In a pan over medium-high heat, poach the shrimp for 4 to 5 minutes, until bright pink and ﬁrm. Drain and plunge into a bowl of ice water. Cool, peel, devein and slice in half lengthwise.
- In a large bowl, combine the poached shrimp with the mangos, red peppers, cucumbers, mint and cilantro.
- To make the dressing, combine the ﬁsh sauce, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, brown sugar, coriander, and white pepper. Whisk brieﬂy. Pour the dressing over shrimp-mango mix. Toss gently.
- To make the garnish, combine the peanuts, scallions, chiles, and ginger and toss brieﬂy.
- Divide the shrimp-mango mix among four plates and sprinkle the garnish mix over the top.
Protein: 9 grams
Fat: 11 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 gram
Carbohydrates: 37 grams
Fiber: 7 grams
Sodium: 2240 mg