Mark your calendars! To build awareness that making healthy food and lifestyle choices can reduce the rise of chronic disease facing the Latino community, Oldways and the Latino Nutrition Coalition (LNC) have announced Latino Nutrition Month, starting on September 15 and going through October 15. We are so excited to start this great month of fun, food and friends! September is also National Hispanic Heritage Month, and Latino Nutrition Month will simultaneously introduce a variety of ways to cook, eat and enjoy the Latino diet pattern. For instance, the introduction of an updated Latin American Diet Pyramid will stress the importance of putting plant-based foods (fruits, veggies, nuts, beans and spices) at the core of one’s diet. Check out all the other cool programs and events we will be hosting throughout the month:
- A Latino Month Calendar, featuring a tip-a-day for following the healthy Latin American Diet.
- A 7-Day Healthy Latino Menu: 7 days of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks, with calorie counts.
- Aﬀordable Latino meals, including recipes and price information for families, seniors, college students and others stretching their food dollars.
- An updated Camino Mágico, a downloadable, bi-lingual supermarket shopping guide to help Latino shoppers make healthy choices among the endless food options available at supermarkets today.
- Latin American Diet Recipe Contest on the LNC site and The Oldways Table Blog. Consumers should submit a recipe that uses at least two Latin American Diet products (see list below). Winners will be drawn at the end of the October, and announced on our websites. Prizes include wonderful Latino products and autographed copies of our widely-praised book, The Oldways Table, chock-full of wonderful recipes and short essays about food and wine experiences.
- A 2’ X 3’ poster with an updated illustration of the Latin American Diet Pyramid will be available at The Oldways Store.
- Latino Health Professionals Tool Kit featuring meal planning tips, recipes, handouts and more is available to Health Professionals and Supermarket RDs who request this free resource by emailing or calling Erika Ross (email@example.com, 617- 896-4850).