1 medium-size yellow onion or 1 leek, minced
1 half head of cauliﬂower, chopped into ﬂorets
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8-10 button or crimini mushrooms, diced small
2 sprigs of fresh oregano, leaves minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1 half scotch bonnet pepper, minced (optional, if you like a little more spiciness!)
2 cups of millet
6 cups of water
Sea salt to taste
- Dice the onion into medium-size pieces.
- Chop the cauliﬂower into small ﬂorets.
- Put 1 tablespoon of olive oil into pan; put on medium heat.
- Add the onions (and pepper) and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and oregano, cook for another 2 minutes. Once the onions begin to brown slightly, add the cauliﬂower, millet, and water to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover the pot and turn the heat to low to simmer. (Set timer for 20 minutes.)
- After 20 minutes, uncover, and ﬂuﬀ with your fork, then cover again. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Salt to taste and enjoy!
Oldways recipe and photo. This recipe is from our cooking program, A Taste of African Heritage. Learn more about it here, and watch our video about the program!
Media: This recipe and photo may be reproduced with credit “Courtesy of Oldways.” Contact Media@oldwayspt.org for a hi-res photo (2685px x 2260px available).