Broccolini with Walnut and Red Pepper Relish and Feta
This simple dish packs a flavorful punch with the slightly bitter broccolini, spicy pepper relish, and a mild and creamy feta. Chopped walnuts add crunch and depth. About ¾ cup of finely diced jarred roasted red peppers can be substituted for roasting your own. The relish will keep, refrigerated, for one week.
For the Walnut and Red Pepper Relish
2 red bell peppers, brushed with extra-virgin olive oil and seasoned with salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 pickled sweet, hot peppers, finely chopped
1 pickled red cherry pepper, stem and seeds removed, finely chopped
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
For the Broccolini
4 quarts water
2 tablespoons kosher salt
24 stalks broccolini
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the broiler on high. Place the bell peppers on a baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes on all sides. (This will take 20-25 minutes.) The skins will become charred and the flesh soft.
- Place the peppers in a glass bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let cool at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile toast the walnuts in a sauté pan over medium heat for 7-8 minutes, shaking the pan often to prevent burning. When fragrant and toasted, turn out onto a cutting board and finely chop.
- Slice the cooled peppers lengthwise in half, and remove skin, ribs, and seeds. Finely dice, and toss with the walnuts, pickled peppers, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and salt. Set aside at room temperate.
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a stockpot. Set a bowl of ice water to the side.
- Trim 1” from the ends of each broccolini stem and discard. Blanch the stems for 1 minute, and shock in ice water until chilled. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Arrange the broccolini on a serving dish, top with roasted pepper relish and crumbled feta. Serve family style at room temperature.