Here’s a fresh and delicious alternative to the more traditional basil pesto. Serve as a sauce for pasta or thin with a bit of olive oil to make a dressing for raw or cooked vegetables.
- ¾ cup California walnuts, toasted
- 1 bunch arugula, washed, with stems removed (2 ounces of clean stemmed leaves)
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (about 3 cloves) chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice ½ teaspoon salt
In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine all of the ingredients and process for 1 to 2 minutes, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides of the bowl, until the pesto is smooth.