Oldways Vegetarian Network
This is a new endeavor to team up with the world’s leading plant-based nutrition researchers, nutrition experts, food companies and culinary professionals in order to promote the health benefits of a vegetarian diet that celebrates traditional, whole plant foods.
The compelling centerpiece of this program is the Oldways Vegetarian Diet Pyramid, first introduced in 1997 at the International Conference on Vegetarian Diets in Austin, Texas. (This Pyramid was fourth in a series of traditional diet pyramids developed and promoted by Oldways.)
In October 2013, Oldways introduced a new version of the pyramid, which for the first time includes vegan guidelines.
To create this updated Vegetarian & Vegan Diet Pyramid, Oldways brought together a world-renowned scientific committee to review extensive scientific data on plant-based diets and provide recommendations.
Click here for a list of committee members.
To find a wealth of different flavors and textures available to adventurous vegetarians, see our list of vegetarian diet foods.
To extend and expand the reach of the updated Pyramid, and with an overall goal of increasing consumption of plant foods, the Oldways Vegetarian Network will reach consumers, media, health professionals, and others with program activities, including a 4-week meal plan, recipe collection, the "Vege Pledge," restaurant connections, toolkits, website resources, and more.
Look to the Oldways Vegetarian Network as:
- A primary resource for reliable nutrition information on vegetarian diets and plant-based eating
- A clearinghouse for an array of science-based materials available for download on the Oldways website
- An ally to help dispel myths and knock down barriers that interfere with eating more plant foods
- An advocate for bringing awareness to cultural traditions and the heritage of vegetarian eating
- A supporter of delicious vegetarian food, with myriad recipes available on the Oldways website.
- A partner with the food industry to help support plant-based nutrition choices
A network that brings together experts in the field of vegetarian nutrition, cooking, and culture