Sarita's Sensations: Chile Oil Recipe
Homemade gifts are a wonderful expression of your friendship and care -- and they have the added benefits of showing your creativity at an affordable price. There is always a lot of satisfaction seeing a friend's face light up when you give them the perfect gift. But, when the gift is homemade, it makes it all the more special.
All you need is a bit of time and creativity and the possibilities are endless. Cookies, candies and homemade breads are always welcome gifts, or perhaps try your hand in creating preserves, relishes, salad dressings or sauces. Dress up your baked goods in hand crafted baskets, tins or dessert plates.
Take a look below for a Chile Oil recipe to get you started. We all have the ability to create special gift items that others will appreciate. All it takes is a little care and imagination to create a memorable holiday.
*makes 3 (8-ounce) bottles*
- 3 teaspoons peppercorns (white, black or pink)
- 3 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 teaspoons red chile flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (25.4-ounce) bottle extra virgin olive oil
- 10 whole dried chile pods
- Wash 3 glass bottles with hot soapy water, rinse well and set aside to dry.
- Once dry, place 1 teaspoon peppercorns, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon red chile flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt in each bottle.
- Heat olive oil and chile pods in a sauce pan to 150°F, turn heat off and allow oil to sit for a half hour. Carefully strain out chile pods.
- Place funnel in the bottle opening and pour oil in the bottle, leaving about 1 to 2 inches at the top. Shake to mix well, seal and store in a cool dark place for 1 week before enjoying.
- Package with a stainless steel spout around the neck of the bottle for easy dispensing.
Recipe courtesy of Whole Foods
Find more on Sarita's Sensations