The Secrets of Pantelleria: An International Symposium
The Pantelleria Symposium was supported by Italian Ministry of Agriculture, Sicilian Region - Agriculture Department, Comune di Pantelleria, Oldways, and Fausto Luchetti.
First organized in 1991, Oldways International Symposiums are week-long explorations designed to educate opinion leaders, food and travel journalists, chefs, food importers and retailers about the cultural, culinary and touristic highlights of specific countries or regions. Each symposium is customized to its venue to raise awareness of these countries or regions.
Highlights of the trip:
- The Symposium formally opened at Cala Tramontana, with an overview of the Symposium and primer to the island basics: history, archaeology, architecture, food and wine.
- An evening at Donnafugata Winery included a vineyard tour, wine tasting and dinner.
- A day of capers in the town of Scauri hosted by Bonomo & Giglio, taking delegates from the caper field to production, laboratory, and then lunch, with plenty of capers, at La Nicchia restaurant.
- A trio of experts provided nutritional background and perspectives on the Mediterranean Diet (historical, practical, and about successful aging).
- An afternoon cooking demonstration and lunch featured Pesto Trapanese and a wine tasting at Abraxas Winery.
- Dinner at the Pantelleria Dream Hotel included a cooking demonstration of one of Pantelleria’s signature dishes, Seafood Couscous, prepared by a Pantescan chef.
- A day of health and wellness took delegates to visit the natural wonders of the island, beginning with a visit to the natural mountain saunas.
- A lunch at Basile Winery was followed by afternoon swim and cleansing mud bath in the Lago di Venere (Lake of Venus).
- Tour of a dammuso, the traditional style home of the island.
- An olive oil tasting at the dammuso of Fausto Luchetti, long-time executive director of the International Olive Oil Council.
- Farewell dinner and exhibit of Pantescan products and wines from the island.
For more information on this trip and to view the photo gallery, click here.